Please call us immediately if you think you may have an electricity emergency.

  • 24-Hour Electric Emergencies:
    800-562-7809
  • Gas Emergencies:
    Contact your local gas company.

Electrical Shocks and/or Fires

Used correctly, electricity is safe. But used in the wrong way, electricity can cause a shock. A shock is when home electricity flows through a person or animal, and can cause serious injury and even death.

If someone is shocked:

  • DO NOT touch the person.
  • If possible, unplug the appliance that is causing the shock.
  • Call 911 immediately.

If there is a fire:

  • Get everyone out of the house immediately.
  • GO to a neighbor's house and call 911.
  • Never put water on an electrical fire.

When you call 911, remember to give your name and address, and speak clearly. Tell the operator what's wrong. Stay on the phone. The operator will tell you what to do.

Back to Top