Please call us immediately if you think you may have an electric emergency.

  • Gas Emergencies:
    Contact your local gas company.
  • 24-Hour Electric Emergencies:
    800-562-7809 or 906-449-2011

Electrical Shocks and Fires

Electricity can cause dangerous or fatal shocks. A shock occurs when electricity goes through a person’s body. Electricity can also cause fires when appliances, switches, wiring and outlets are defective or improperly used.

If someone is being shocked with a household current:

  • Don’t touch the victim unless the power is off.
  • Unplug the appliance, or turn the power off at the main control area.
  • If you can’t turn off the power, use a dry wooden broom handle or dry clothing to separate the victim from the power source.
  • Call 911 or get emergency medical assistance.
  • If the victim is not breathing, perform mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
  • If the victim is conscious, keep them calm. Lay them on their back. Elevate their feet. Cover them with a blanket.

If someone is being shocked with a current from an outdoor high voltage line:

  • Don’t try to separate the victim from the power source.
  • Don’t touch the victim unless you are absolutely certain the victim is not in contact with electrical wire.
  • Call 911 or get emergency help and medical assistance.

If you have an electrical fire:

  • Unplug the burning or smoking appliance.
  • Get everyone out at once.
  • If the fire is small, use a CO2 or dry powder fire extinguisher. Never put water on an electrical fire.
  • Call 911 or the fire department. Tell the dispatcher your name, address, and that you have an electrical fire.