The average homeowner can pay up to $1,000 a year in cooling and heating costs, nearly half of a home’s total energy bill. If your central air conditioning unit is more than 12 years old, or you’re shopping for a room air conditioner, choose an ENERGY STAR® certified model and save.
- Skill Level: Basic (wall unit); Professional (central unit)
- Look for the ENERGY STAR label when shopping for a new air conditioner. If purchasing a central air conditioning system, work with a contractor who will provide an ENERGY STAR Quality Installation, which ensures proper equipment size, installation and performance.
- Cost Range: $200-$800 (wall unit); $1,000 and up (central unit)
- Although purchasing ENERGY STAR certified models can be a bit more expensive up front, the cost difference is paid back over time through significantly lower energy bills.
- Savings: Up to 30% in annual costs
- An ENERGY STAR certified room air conditioner uses less energy than standard models to produce the same or better results.