ENERGY STAR® certified water heaters save energy and money with smart design enhancements that improve efficiency and performance. If your water heater is 10 or more years old, replace it with an ENERGY STAR certified model to start saving money right away.
- Skill Level: Advanced to Professional
- There’s an ENERGY STAR certified water heater to fit every household’s needs, from electric models to gas tankless heaters that heat water on demand, to solar water heating systems that even more energy and money.
- Cost Range: $250+
- While an ENERGY STAR certified water heater may cost more initially than a standard model, the energy savings will continue over its lifetime. And some models, such as solar water heating systems, can last 20 years.
- Savings: Up to $300 annually
- Replacing an old water heater with a more efficient unit will bring you the most long-term cost savings of all the water heater energy-saving tips. Depending on the technology you choose, you could cut your water heating bills by up to half! And because heating water uses so much energy, greater efficiency is better for the environment, too. ENERGY STAR certified heat pump water heaters can save the average household almost $300 per year on its electric bills compared to a standard electric water heater.