NOTICE: If you elect to disconnect 60-amp service you will no longer be able to reconnect service until you upgrade to 100-amp service. (This does not apply to service that has been disconnected due to non-payment.)
To establish a new account, to stop service, or to transfer service to a new location, call Customer Service:
Business: (906) 449-2014 / (800) 337-8445
Residential: (906) 449-2013 / (800) 562-7680
New business customers will need to complete a Commercial Credit application to establish a new account.
New Service (New Construction/Upgrade/Relocations)
Complete our convenient online applications for the following electric service requests:
- Installing new electric service to your property.
- Upgrading existing electric service at your property.
- Relocating existing electric service at your property.
- Installing yard lights at your property (see Outdoor Lighting further down on this page).
3 Steps For A Timely Service Installation
*We want to make applying for new electric service easy and hassle-free. One of the most critical pieces of information we need to have is a completed Property Site Sketch and Liability Waiver form. Please note that work will not proceed on your service installation until a completed form is received by UPPCO.
The detailed Property Site Sketch and Liability Waiver must contain the following, if applicable:
- Signature of the property owner or the authorized representative.
- Customer name, service address, city, state, ZIP code, and phone number.
- Name of road the building front faces and nearest crossroad.
- Building site dimensions in feet.
- Footage building is set back from road and lot lines.
- Footprint of structure.
- North orientation.
- Desired electric meter location and footages from nearest corner of livable space. Note: Position the meter location to avoid any conflicts with building windows, doors, decks and sources of ignition. The company will make final determination of meter location based on applicable building, fuel and electrical codes.
- Wells and private water lines including underground sprinkler systems with connecting lines to the buildings.
- Municipal water and sewer laterals.
- Septic tank with primary and alternate drain fields (private sanitary system) with connecting lines to building.
- LP fuel lines/tanks with connecting lines to buildings.
- External wood furnaces and associated buried heating with connecting lines to buildings.
- Geo thermal heat pumps with connecting lines to buildings.
- Buried sump pump lines and down spouts.
- Location of porches, patios, decks and outbuildings (including future plans),
- Location of all private underground facilities, including, but not limited to: private fuel runs, private electric wires, private communication wires and others.
The detailed Property Site Sketch and Liability Waiver must contain the following, If applicable:
- The construction site and building foundation must be back-filled to within 6” of final grade.
- The service route is to be cleared 10’ wide of brush, building materials, etc.
- The electric meter base must be installed.
- If a cement pad for the transformer was poured, the pad must be cured for ten (10) days.
- A county electrical inspection is required.
- Any private underground facilities must be marked, and paths located.
- Permits and easements need to be signed and on file with UPPCO when determined necessary by the utility.
- All service construction charges must be paid in advance of construction.
Final building site plans for new construction may be sent by either of the below methods.
Email: email@example.com (The electronic version must be in Microstation or Autocad format.)
500 N Washington Street
Ishpeming, MI 49849
- UPPCO will verify the site is ready. Once it is confirmed that installation requirements have been met, UPPCO will make every effort to install and energize within 15 business days.
Winter Construction Information
As you plan for your service installation project, please be aware of the following Winter Construction Charges rules:
- The Winter Construction Charge will be waived by UPPCO if our underground contractors do not actually charge us for winter construction conditions.
- Winter Construction Charges are in addition to any other applicable charges, and are non-refundable, except as noted in our service rules.
- A customer’s premises and/or the construction site is deemed to be ready for underground facilities installation when all the requirements in steps 1 and 2 have been completed and an underground pedestal has been installed and inspected. *UPPCO will not begin work until these requirements have been satisfied. Notify UPPCO when you believe your site is ready. Once is it confirmed that installation requirements have been met, UPPCO will make every effort to install and energize within 15 business days.
- Subdivision Customers - Winter Construction costs will be charged for any underground facilities installed in our service territory between November 1 and April 15, except as follows. The Winter Construction Charge will not be charged if the customer’s application is received by UPPCO prior to September 1, the customer’s premises and/or the construction site is ready for underground facilities installation prior to October 1, and we receive the total advance customer payment required for the installation of facilities prior to October 1.
- Non-Subdivision Customers - Winter Construction costs will be charged for any underground facilities installed in our service territory between November 1 and April 15, except as follows. The Winter Construction Charge will not be charged if the application is received by UPPCO prior to September 15, the customer’s premises and/or the construction site is ready for underground facilities installation prior to October 15, and the company receives the total advance customer payment required for the installation of facilities prior to October 15.
Sales Tax Exemption
UPPCO customers could qualify for sales tax exemption on electric bills. Do you have one of the following types of businesses?
If you have questions about whether an exemption applies to your business, your tax accountant is your best resource. If you have questions about your current tax status with UPPCO, please contact us.
Commercial businesses in Michigan are tax-exempt for electricity used in agricultural production.
They are also exempt from sales tax on the Customer Charge if they have no use.
Send a Michigan Sales Tax Certificate to UPPCO, 500 N Washington St, Ishpeming, MI 49849 or fax it to (906) 485-2431. Prior to sending in your certificate of exemption, please make sure to do the following:
- Complete the form using the contact name exactly as it appears on your bill.
- List your account and/or meter number on the top of the form (if known).
- List appropriate percentages on the form when applicable. Percentages are needed if the reason for exemption is Manufacturing, Agricultural Production or Commercial Customer with Residential Use. (Be sure to include the percentage of energy use claimed for agricultural production).
- Sign and date the form.
For residential and agricultural dual-use meters:
If your total electric use exceeds 1,500 kilowatt-hours per month, or 2,500 kilowatt-hours where a home has electric heat from November to March, the excess usage will be considered exempt.
Businesses in Michigan are tax-exempt year-round for electric and natural gas used in industrial processing. Qualifying activities include:
- patent, experimentation, development, engineering inspection and quality control
- planning, scheduling and production control
- design, construction and maintenance of factory machinery, equipment and tooling
- disposal of production scrap and waste
- production supervision
- production material handling
Send a Michigan Sales Tax *Certificate to UPPCO, 500 N Washington St, Ishpeming, MI 49849 or fax it to (906) 485-2431.
*On the certificate, be sure to include the percentage of energy use claimed for industrial processing.
Nonprofit organizations in Michigan are tax-exempt year-round for electric use. This includes any corporation, community chest fund, foundation or association that is organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific or educational purposes or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals.
Send a Michigan Sales Tax Certificate to UPPCO, 500 N Washington St, Ishpeming, MI 49849 or fax it to (906) 485-2431.
UPPCO Rates and Tariff
Approved by Michigan Public Service Commission
UPPCO’s rates are certified and approved by the Michigan Public Service Commission. To view the current schedule of rates and MPSC regulations governing the sale of electricity by UPPCO visit UPPCO Rates and Tariff.
Electric Customer Choice
Since January 2002, all electric customers in the state of Michigan have the option of choosing the company that provides their electric supply. As a customer of UPPCO, we want you to know what these energy choices may mean to you:
On June 3, 2000, Michigan Governor John Engler signed into law the Customer Choice and Electric Reliability Act (Act 141). Since then, legislators, consumers and energy suppliers have worked together to put into place program details and protective guidelines that will help customers benefit from these new energy choices.
Alternative Electric Suppliers
There are two key reasons why customers won’t find many other alternative energy supply options. One is due to the Upper Peninsula’s limited market size. A new supplier would have to build a small generating plant to serve the area, and a small plant would have a hard time competing with larger plants that typically cost less to operate. Second, the transmission lines that deliver electricity to the U.P. are already at capacity. A new
Changes to Your Energy Bill
Customers will see separate charges for both supply and delivery on their bill. This is in an effort to help you better understand your energy costs.
The charges associated with energy delivery (distribution) are:
Average Fuel Mix Comparisons
As a Michigan resident, you have the option to choose the company that provides your electric supply. This stems frrom the Customer Choice and Electricity Reliability Act that took effect January 1, 2002. When choosing a supplier, you should know the sources of generation different companies may have. Included here is information about the UPPCO fuel mix and emissions, compared to other regions.
CAP Tracking System
Michigan Electric Choice participation is limited to 10% of UPPCO’s weather adjusted sales for the previous calendar year. Shown below is the load available to be served by an Alternative Electric Supplier (AES) and current participation levels.
For more information call UPPCO at (906) 449-2014 / (800) 337-8445 or visit the
Michigan Public Service Commission website.
NOTICE: Effective February 1, 2019, all customers with lights eligible/included in the LED upgrade project had the per fixture charge for their outdoor lighting changed to the approved LED rate on their monthly statement. UPPCO is accelerating our normal 5-Year outdoor lighting maintenance schedule to upgrade all outdoor LED lights within two to three years. In addition, the kilowatt-hour savings of the LED fixtures is being passed on to customers immediately, regardless of when the light fixture is changed.
If you would like outdoor lighting for your business, we’ll recommend a lighting system to suit your needs and handle all installation and wiring. Creating an outdoor lighting system that’s efficient, well-planned and suited to your situation is easy with help from UPPCO.
*For commercial applications Cobra Area Lighting is recommended/all that is available. To view the complete list of UPPCO's outdoor lighting options available, visit the Outdoor Lighting area in the Residential section of this site.
LED lighting is currently the most energy efficient. As such, all UPPCO outdoor lighting options are now LED.
*UPPCO will not install a light fixture onto to a customer-owned structure or pole. If you would like the outdoor lighting option, UPPCO must install the pole and fixture.
Cobra Area LightThe Cobra area light fixture provides an oval-shaped light pattern that’s ideal for improving the safety and security of long, rural driveways and barnyards. It is designed to focus light on the area you choose, while minimizing light that could affect a neighbor.
|Details||Equivalent Wattages Available|
UPPCO Green ensures the energy you use comes from UPPCO hydroelectric renewable generation.
When you join UPPCO Green, you’re making a bold commitment to environmental stewardship. That’s because the energy you purchase through UPPCO Green comes from clean, safe, locally produced hydroelectric facilities. It’s an affordable way to invest in a sustainable future, with no need to make significant changes or purchase equipment.
Click here to learn more about our hydroelectric capabilities and benefits to the community.
Joining UPPCO Green helps to:
- Reduce reliance on fossil fuels
- Cut down on greenhouse gas emissions
- Preserve resources for future generations
- Earn LEED certification points
- Support continued production and expansion of local renewable energy resources