Earned Income Credit

If you worked full or part-time at some point last year, you may be eligible for the federal Earned Income Credit (EIC). Earned Income and adjusted gross income* (AGI) must each be less than:

  • $47,955 ($53,505 married filing jointly) with three or more qualifying children.
  • $44,648 ($50,198 married filing jointly) with two qualifying children.
  • $39,296 ($44,846 married filing jointly) with one qualifying child.
  • $14,880 ($20,430 married filing jointly) with no qualifying children.

* Married income level implies joint filing.

Apply for Your EIC

Families with qualifying children in their home last year should file federal tax return Forms 1040, 1040a or 1040EZ, and attach schedule EIC. Workers without qualifying children do not need to file the EIC form.

For more information, or to find out how to get your forms filled out for free, call the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 800-829-1040. For more information, visit http://www.irs.gov/EITC.

EIC Advance Payment

If you were raising a child in your home last year, you may also be able to boost each paycheck during the year with an advance EIC. Get form W-5 from your employer or call 800-829-3676.

State EIC

If you qualify to claim EIC on your federal income tax return, you also may be eligible for a similar credit on your state or local income tax return.

For more information on the Michigan Earned Income Tax Credit, visit http://www.Michigan.gov/treasury.